Thursday, October 16, 2008

Happiness

Came back to Asia last Sunday and now I am in Laos for work already, next stop will be Singapore.

Oh I had a wonderful trip! I never knew I could feel so good on a trip taking the backseat and doing things not that unfamiliar to me, instead of exploring new adventures. What I am trying to say is, I had a lovely time letting him show me around his hometown (and letting him meet my best friend and brother), getting to know his family and friends, getting a feel of what his life was like back in New York. In a way, it was an exploration trip, finding out more about him and being surprised by all the simple pleasures. I wish I could stop time so that we stay happily in love and won't hurt each other again.

You know, we all say that we just want to be happy. We often forget that happiness takes a lot of conscious effort for it to happen - it doesn't just happen. Especially for those of us who live a hectic life, with endless stress from work, and countless number of friends and acquaintances fighting for our attention, it does take a lot of effort to not let all these complicate our lives and overwhelm us. I think most of us live in a world where we overstate the importance of getting as many things done as possible, having as many friends as possible, pleasing as many people as we can..... In the end we lose what's most important to us because, whatever that is, it failed to get the attention and focus that it needed. Call me cynical, I do believe that big cities corrupt the mind. Often times we end up with a lot of everything but not the most important thing, leaving us lost and miserable.

I wish for myself and everyone I care about continuous effort to simplify life and self-reminder to cherish the things/people we value most in our lives.

No comments: