Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Anatomy of Peace



The Anatomy of Peace is the book I've referred to a few times in my blog. It made a difference to my thinking and changed me in some ways, allowing peace to come into my mind and my heart in situations where I would have otherwise let my anger and pride consume me.

A true story:
Someone let me down. Really really really badly. I cried and I cried and I cried. One friend wrote me a note wishing me well and asking me not to cry too much. Another friend in S Africa told me never to mention that person's name again. I saw my best friend in Toronto online and briefly told her what had happened. I told her how angry I had been and how I had shouted at that person: I would give up my whole world for you and you are telling me you are giving me up because it seems too complicated and difficult!?

My friend empathized with my frustration and then, to my surprise, I said,"well, it's ok. I probably freaked him out when I told him I needed him to be absolutely sure this was something he wanted badly and would do everything he could to make things work because I couldn't do this alone. At least he was honest with me, and admitted that he had doubts, uncertainty and he was not ready. It's okay." I was surprised not at what I said, but how I felt when I said it. I truly meant it, and felt it, when I said "it's okay". I fully accepted that he was not ready, and I stopped dwelling on the pain and great disappointment I had been feeling.

It's really okay. Things don't always (usually) work out the way we want. People don't always (usually) walk at our pace, think as we do. That's why when we DO finally find the right match, we try not to let go easily.

My life doesn't stop here. I believe that there are more wonderful things waiting for me in my life.

I really hope you will read this book, because I trust it can make a difference to your life as well.

No comments: