Sunday, June 15, 2008

Expectations

Lately, I've been trying to start living my life without expectations. When I went for a walk alone last Monday, I suddenly realized why people say "hope for the best but prepare for the worst" - it's good to hope but don't expect because you set yourself up for a letdown.

We tend to expect certain things from others based on our personal experience of similar situations, or what we hear about other people's experience. We expect a decent salary rise after a very positive year-end review; the person to stick around after promising not to let you suffer alone anymore; a burnt out light bulb to be replaced after someone offered to replace it for you...

I went to see a hypnotherapist / life counsellor a few weeks ago to understand myself better and he made me realize that by believing that things are supposed to happen in certain ways as based on my interpretation of how things should happen logically, I risk setting myself up for a letdown. He was so right. He suggested that I try and live myself without expecting anything, allowing myself to think that I don't know anything and that it is alright not to know.

It's easier said than done, of course, but perhaps it is the right way to live, hoping for things to happen, but not expecting them to necessarily happen. Sort of like believing in the moment, but not allowing your mind to think ahead what may proceed.

I'm still trying to master this skill in a positive way - otherwise I may end up living without any hopes (and that's one of the saddest things in life) or I may end up trusting no one but myself because only I will never fail myself and will put my happiness first.

Makes me sleepy contemplating what is the right way to live one's life...zzzzz

No comments: