Saturday, September 6, 2008

Screw teamwork

I think teamwork is way overrated.

At work, I assumed different teams should work together towards a common goal. In reality, each player often cares about his or her own self-interest and only tries to reach the minimum level required at most, depending on his or her priorities, not really trying to help one another out. Lots of times, I see people not showing a sense of responsibility for the overall success.

In relationships, I assumed that a couple should be a team, looking out for each other, making decisions best for the team. In reality, sometimes one person makes decisions without considering the other person's wishes or interests, or even feels like the partner is bringing him/her down, making him/her look bad. Of course, partner jumping ship is also not uncommon.

It really frustrates me, because I really have been naive enough to really believe in collective interest and I honestly dare say that I have made a lot of personal sacrifices for the better good of the "team", both at work and in relationships. When I challenge these people, I often hear them say "oh but I have done A, B, and C for the team". What about incidents D and E where your actions proved otherwise?

The way the world functions really confuses me, and my head is now spinning. Why can't we STOP forming teams and just do things out of self-interest? Why can't we have more small / boutique companies instead of large multinationals with mutiple teams? Why should there be marriage and relationship when clearly the system doesn't work, as proven by the high divorce rate. At the end of the day, people are driven by self-interest. People are born to be selfish. They want to do what they like, what makes them happy.

I feel like a confused teenager asking all these rhetorical questions.

No comments: